Creating your first app might seem like a lot of work, but there is every skilled mobile application development company in Chennai that can help you to create an iOS app. This blog post will break down the process and provide you with everything you need to know from what software is needed and where to start, to what the end result might look like!
iOS App Latest Stats
- As per Statista, Gaming apps were the most popular category available in the Apple App Store as of the third quarter of 2022, accounting for 12.68 percent of all iOS apps hosted on the platform. Business apps were the second most popular category in the Apple App Store, accounting for 10.35 percent of all active apps. Education apps accounted for over 9.8% of all active apps, ranking third in iOS popularity.
- As of September 2019, there are 2.1 billion active iOS devices worldwide. This number is only expected to grow as Apple continues to release new iPhone models and updates to its operating system.
- The App Store is home to over 2 million apps, with more being added every day. The vast majority of these apps are free to download and use, but there are also many paid apps available.
- Interestingly, the average iOS app developer earns $5,000 per month from their creations. This figure varies depending on the popularity of the app and how well it is marketed, but it shows that there is money to be made from creating successful iOS apps.
So, if you’re thinking about creating an iOS app, now is a great time to do it! Follow our step-by-step guide below and you’ll be well on your way to becoming a successful app developer.
Further Reading: How to Choose a Mobile App Development Company
The Development Process For Your First App iOS App
- Choose Your App Idea
- Define the Scope of Your App
- Choose Your Development Platform
- Design Your App’s User Interface
- Develop Your App’s Backend
- Test Your App
- Launch Your App
- Promote Your App
- Update Your App Regularly
1. Choose Your App Idea
The first step in developing your first app is to choose an idea for your app. This can range from a simple game to a sophisticated productivity tool. Once you have an idea, you’ll need to validate it by researching the market and potential users.
2. Define the Scope of Your App
After you’ve validated your app idea, you’ll need to define the scope of your app. This includes deciding what features and functionality will be included in your app. Keep in mind that it’s important to start small and add features as needed.
3. Choose Your Development Platform
There are two main options for developing iOS apps: native development using Objective-C or Swift, or cross-platform development using a tool like Unity or Xamarin. If you’re just starting, we recommend choosing a cross-platform solution so you can deploy your app to multiple platforms with less effort.
4. Design Your App’s User Interface
Once you’ve chosen your development platform, it’s time to design your app’s user interface (UI). This involves creating screens or “views” for each feature of your app and designing how users will interact with them. If you’re not a designer, there are plenty of resources available online to help you get started.
5. Develop Your App’s Backend
If your app needs any backend services (e.g., a database or API), now is the time to develop them. This can be done using a platform-as-a-service (PaaS) solution like Heroku or AWS Elastic Beanstalk, or by running your server.
6. Test Your App
Before you launch your app, it’s important to test it thoroughly. This includes both functional testing to ensure all features work as intended, and performance testing to ensure your app can handle real-world usage scenarios.
7. Launch Your App
When your app is finished, it’s time to put it out there! This typically involves submitting your app to an app store (e.g., the App Store or Google Play), though some platforms allow you to launch your app without an app store.
Further Reading: Cost of Hiring Top Mobile App Development Companies in Chennai
8. Promote Your App
After you’ve launched your app, you’ll need to promote it to reach potential users. This can be done via paid advertising, social media marketing, or other marketing channels.
9. Update Your App Regularly
Once your app is live, you’ll need to regularly update it with new features and bug fixes. This not only keeps users engaged but also helps you collect feedback so you can continue to improve your app over time.
There are a few things to consider when coming up with ideas for your first iOS app.
#1 Think about what kind of app you want to make. Apps come in a variety of forms, ranging from games to productivity tools. Once you have an idea of the type of app you want to make, brainstorm some specific ideas for what your app could do.
#2 Think about what problem your app could solve for users.
- What need does it fill?
- How would it make someone’s life easier or more fun?
Once you have a few ideas for what your app could do, start doing some research to see if there are already any similar apps on the market. If there are, think about how you could make your app better or more unique than the others.
#3 Once you have a good idea for your app, it’s time to start planning how you’re going to build it. In the next section, we’ll walk through the process of turning your idea into a reality.
Examples of Popular Frameworks Available
There are a few different ways to approach making your first iOS app. You can either start from scratch, using Xcode and Swift (or Objective-C), or you can use a cross-platform framework like React Native or Ionic.
If you want to make a native iOS app, using Xcode is the way to go. Xcode is Apple’s IDE (integrated development environment) for creating apps for all of their platforms: macOS, watchOS, tvOS, and of course, iOS.
Swift is the programming language that you’ll use in Xcode to build your app. If you’re not a programmer but want to learn how to code specifically for iOS, Swift is a good place to start. It’s relatively easy to learn compared to other languages and it’s the only language supported by Xcode.
If you’re an experienced programmer but new to iOS development, Objective-C is another option for coding your app. It’s been around longer than Swift and was the standard language for developing iOS apps until 2014 when Swift was introduced.
- React Native
Idea Validation and Building a Prototype
If you’ve made it this far, congratulations! You now have a fully functioning iOS app. The next step is to validate your idea and build a prototype.
There are a few ways to validate your app idea:
- Talk to potential users and get feedback on your app concept.
- Create a landing page for your app and measure the conversion rate.
- Build a minimum viable product (MVP) and measure user engagement.
Once you’ve validated your idea, it’s time to build a prototype. A prototype is an early version of your app that allows you to test the feasibility of your concept and gather feedback from users.
There are several methods for creating prototypes:
- Use codeless platforms like Marvel or InVision to create high-fidelity prototypes that look and feel like the real thing.
- Use Keynote or PowerPoint to create low-fidelity wireframes that outline the functionality and flow of your app without getting into too much detail.
- Write out a detailed description of your app concept and how it works. This can be helpful in communicating your idea to potential investors or partners.
Once you’ve created your prototype, it’s time to test it! User testing is essential to make sure that your app is usable and meets the needs of your target audience.
There are a few different ways to conduct user testing:
- Recruit friends, family, and co-workers to test your app and give feedback.
- Use online platforms like UserTesting or TryMyUI to connect with potential users from around the world.
- Attend local meetups and events related to your app topic to find potential testers in person.
After you’ve gathered feedback from users, it’s time to make changes to your prototype based on what you’ve learned. Once you’re happy with your updated prototype, it’s time to start building your app!
Building an App with Swift or Objective C
- Assuming you’re starting from scratch, you first need to decide which programming language to use. Swift is Apple’s newest language and it has been designed specifically for building iOS apps. Objective-C is the older language and was the standard for many years before Swift was introduced. Both languages can be used to create iOS apps, but Swift is generally easier to learn and use.
- If you’re not sure which language to choose, we recommend starting with Swift. It’s simpler and more concise than Objective-C, and will likely be the future of iOS development. Even if you eventually want to learn Objective-C, we recommend starting with Swift first.
- Once you’ve decided on a language, you need to download Xcode from the Mac App Store. Xcode is Apple’s official IDE (Integrated Development Environment) for creating iOS apps. It’s a powerful piece of software that includes everything you need to build an app, including a code editor, a compiler, and a debugger.
- Once Xcode is installed, open it and create a new project. You’ll be presented with several different templates to choose from – select “Single View Application” and click “Next”.
- On the next page, fill in the product name (this can be anything) and organization identifier (this should be your company’s reverse domain name). Make sure “Swift” is selected as the language and “iPhone” is selected as the device. Click “Next” and choose where to save your project.
- Once your project has been created, you’ll see the main Xcode interface. This is where you’ll write your code and design your app’s user interface. Take some time to explore the various parts of the interface – we’ll be using them in future tutorials.
- To start writing code, open the “ViewController.swift” file in the “Project navigator”. This is where all the code for your app’s initial view controller will go. Replace the contents of the necessary code.
- This code creates a new view controller class and overrides two methods – “viewDidLoad” and “didReceiveMemoryWarning”. The “viewDidLoad” method is called when the view controller’s view is first loaded into memory, while “didReceiveMemoryWarning” is called when the system is low on memory and the view controller’s view is about to be unloaded from memory.
- We’ll be adding more code to these methods later on. For now, run your app by clicking the “Run” button in the top-left corner of the Xcode window. This will launch the simulator and you should see a blank white screen. Congratulations, you’ve just created your first iOS app!
Common iOS Design Patterns and How to Implement Them
Several common design patterns are used in iOS app development. Some of the most popular ones include the Model View Controller (MVC), Model View ViewModel (MVVM), and the Component-based Architecture.
|iOS Design Patterns||Known For|
|MVC Pattern||Model – holds data|
View – Displays dataController – manages communication
|MVVM Pattern||Comes with an additional layer “ViewModel”|
|Component-based Architecture||Breaks app into reusable components|
#1 MVC Pattern
The MVC pattern is one of the most commonly used design patterns in iOS app development. It separates the application into three different parts: the model, the view, and the controller. The model is responsible for holding data, the view is responsible for displaying data, and the controller is responsible for managing communication between the two.
#2 MVVM Pattern
The MVVM pattern is similar to MVC, but it adds a layer called the ViewModel. The ViewModel is responsible for exposing data to the view and mediating communication between the view and the model.
#3 Component-based Architecture
Component-based Architecture is a newer design pattern that has gained popularity in recent years. It breaks an application down into small, reusable components that can be easily combined to create new features. This makes it easier to develop and maintain large applications.
When choosing a design pattern for an iOS app, it is important to consider the specific needs of the project. Each pattern has its own strengths and weaknesses, so it is important to choose the one that will best fit the project.
Steps to Take When You’ve Finished Your First App
Assuming you’ve followed all the steps in this guide and have successfully created your first iOS app, there are a few things you should do next:
- Test your app thoroughly on multiple devices to make sure there are no bugs or crashes.
- Submit your app for approval to the App Store.
- Promote your app on social media, through word-of-mouth, and using other marketing channels.
- Keep track of your app’s download numbers and user feedback to see how it’s performing.
- Update your app regularly with new features and improvements based on user feedback.
Other Things to Consider
If you’re not sure what kind of app to make, consider starting with a simple game or utility app. These kinds of apps are usually easier to develop and can be more successful than more complex apps.
- It’s important to have a clear idea of what your app will do before you start development. This will help you determine which features to include and how to structure your app.
- Don’t bite off more than you can chew! Developing an iOS app can be time-consuming and challenging, so it’s important to start small and gradually add features as you become more comfortable with the process.
- Keep your target audience in mind when developing your app.
- What kind of people do you want to use your app?
- What needs does your app address?
- Make sure you have the necessary skills and resources before starting development. Do some research on the subject and/or take some online courses to learn the basics of iOS development. You’ll also need a Mac computer running the latest version of macOS in order to develop iOS apps.
iOS App Development Cost-affecting Factors & Average Cost
There are a few key factors that affect the cost of developing an iOS app.
#1 App Size & Complexity
The first is the size and complexity of the app. A simple app with limited features will obviously cost less to develop than a large, complex app with many features.
#2 Dev Team Experience
The second factor is the development team’s experience. A team with more experience will be able to develop the app faster and with fewer errors, which will save on development costs.
#3 Development & Design Cost
Finally, the cost of development also depends on whether you need to hire a designer or not. If your app requires a lot of design work, then you will need to budget for that as well.
The average cost to develop an iOS app ranges from $5,000 to $250,000+. The exact cost will be determined by all of the factors listed above.
Congratulations! You have completed the first step in your journey to becoming an iOS developer. In this guide, you have learned how to come up with an idea for your app, design its user interface, and code it using Swift. While this might seem like a daunting task at first, remember that you can always take things one step at a time. And if you get stuck along the way, there are plenty of resources (including this guide) that can help you get unstuck and continue moving forward.
The Most Prefered Mobile Application Development Company in Chennai
If you’re looking for a skilled mobile application development company in Chennai, connect with Pyramidion. With years of experience in the industry, our team of developers has the skills and knowledge to create high-quality iOS apps that are sure to exceed your expectations.
From start to finish, we will work closely with you to ensure that your app is exactly what you envision. We’ll take care of all the technical aspects of development, so you can focus on other important aspects of your business. And, we’ll always be available to answer any questions or address any concerns you may have along the way.
When it’s time to launch your app, we’ll help you get it onto the App Store and make sure it’s optimized for success. We know how competitive the App Store can be, so we’ll do everything we can to help your app stand out from the crowd.
If you’re ready to take your business to the next level with a custom iOS app, contact Pyramidion today. We will gladly provide you with a free consultation and estimate for our services.